[DMCA-Activists] [Fwd: TIIP Newsletter 2004-2: Patent Reform]

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] [Fwd: TIIP Newsletter 2004-2: Patent Reform]
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:09:17 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: TIIP Newsletter 2004-2: Patent Reform
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:46:53 -0400
From: Tiip Newsletter <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>

Newsletter
TECHNOLOGICAL INNOVATION AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
Issue 2004-2

TWO PROPOSALS TO REFORM THE US PATENT SYSTEM

To view the contents click on:
http://www.researchoninnovation.org/tiip/index.htm

* * * *

CONTENTS:
The US economy is highly innovative. Yet in two notable public meetings,
business executives, economists, judges and lawyers expressed deep concerns
about the effects of the US patent system on innovation, first at the
National Academies of Science (2000) and later at the Federal Trade
Commission and Department of Justice (2002).

Both groups have now followed with proposals for reforming the US patent
system. Many of the recommendations are highly technical. To facilitate
public discussion, we analyze the main issues, summarize the proposed
recommendations and solicit comments
(http://www.researchoninnovation.org/tiip/archive/issue2004_2.html#comment)
from readers. In the Fall, we will publish selected comments.

MAIN RECOMMENDATIONS:
    - Patent Standards
    - Patent Office Operation
    - Patent Infringement Litigation

REQUEST FOR COMMENTS

We welcome all readers to submit brief comments (around 500 words). Comments
can address specific recommendations (e.g., changes to the non-obviousness
standard), the overall import of the proposed changes, or alternative
recommendations. We will select comments to publish in the newsletter
(perhaps excerpting from them), and we may choose to place all comments on
the TIIP website.