[DMCA-Activists] Apple Reneges and Picks Your Pocket (i.e., "Manages" Di

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Apple Reneges and Picks Your Pocket (i.e., "Manages" Digital Restrictions)
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 09:27:05 -0400

(Forwarded from Boing Boing Blog)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [BoingBoing-mailblog]Apple's new DRM reneges on your purchase
conditions, picks yourpocket
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 03:18:38 -0400
From: Cory Doctorow <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Apple's new DRM reneges on your purchase conditions, picks your pocket

The new iTunes has stricter DRM than the last version, limiting the number
of times you can burn your playlists to seven (it used to be ten), and
detecting and blocking similar playlists. Jason Schultz has some good ranty
analysis about what this means:

So after one year and 70 million songs, $0.99 now buys you less rather than
more -- seven hard burns instead of ten soft ones. What will Apple "allow"
us to do with the music we "buy" next year? three burns? one? zero?

And what about the songs you've already bought? Don't we get to keep the
rights we had before the change?

Well, Apple has conveniently reserved its rights to make changes --
unilaterially -- to its DRM and your ability to make fair use via its Terms
of Service and Terms of Sale pretty much anytime it pleases, without even
having to give you notice.

Link: http://www.boingboing.net/2004/04/30/apples_new_drm_reneg.html