[DMCA-Activists] Powell Discusses Skype

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Powell Discusses Skype
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 10:52:58 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [DDN] FCC Chairman discusses Skype
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 09:47:29 -0400
From: Andy Carvin <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Chris Kasch just posted the following reply to the Skype
discussion on my wwwedu list... -ac

---------------
Subject: skype perhaps of interest http://www.skype.com
From: "Chris R. Kasch" <address@hidden>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 08:29:05 -0500
To: <address@hidden>

Michael Powell discussed Skype and how applications like that are
changing world of media and telco regulations a few months ago at
AlwaysOn.  You can listen to his speech from the AlwaysOn server
as a streaming DRM'ed Real or Windows Media file...

http://www.alwayson-network.com/events/index.php

At 18 minutes into the speech, Michael Powell responds to this
quote...

³I knew it was over when I downloaded Skype.  When the inventors
of KaZaA are distributing for free a little program that you can
use to talk to anybody else, and the quality is fantastic, and
it¹s free ­ it¹s over. The world will change now inevitably.²

-21 minutes in, MP - "One of the hardest things I'm trying to
convince governors presidents and leaders of the world [about].
Your kidding yourself if you think you can trap this in your
little glass bottle like you're accustom to doing.  The phone
system right now is regulated on all kinds of metrics that will
not ever work again."

"We're very accustom in law to regulating based on geography,
distance, and time.  All of which the internet shatters.  Time
becomes almost imperceptible, distance is unimportant, and
geography is fiction."

"Go ahead... make this world hostile for VOIP.  It will just go
to Italy."

Chris Kasch
address@hidden

Andy Carvin