[DMCA-Activists] 11/8 NY Fair Use Volunteers Meeting for the FTC P2P Wor

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] 11/8 NY Fair Use Volunteers Meeting for the FTC P2P Workshop and the Broadcast Flag Campaign
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:23:15 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [fairuse-talk] Monday 8 November 2004 New Yorkers for
Fair Use Volunteers Meeting:To plan for the FTC P2P Meeting and
the Broadcast Flag Campaign
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 16:40:01 -0500 (EST)
From: Jay Sulzberger <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

   what="official New Yorkers for Fair Use announcement">

     New Yorkers for Fair Use will meet at 6:30 pm Monday 8
     November 2004.

     NYFU and many organizations, tribes, and free lances will
     attend the FTC P2P Workshop on 15 and 16 December 2004:

     http://msl1.mit.edu/furdlog/index.php?p=2665
     http://www.ftc.gov/os/2004/10/041015p2pfrn.pdf

     We must prepare our forces and present our case.

  We will meet at the the Gyro Pizza and Bagel Place on the
  corner of Third Avenue and Eighth Street on the Island of
  the Manahattoes, likely in the back.  The Gyro Place has
  several names.  The location is also called Astor Place and
  also St. Marks and Third Avenue.  There are two subway stops
  nearby: Eighth Street NRW, Astor Place Lexington Avenue
  Line.

  The Gyro Place lies across the street from Cooper Union, where
  Lincoln spoke on 27 February 1860.  Here is the last paragraph
  of Lincoln's speech:

   Neither let us be slandered from our duty by false accusations
   against us, nor frightened from it by menaces of destruction
   to the Government nor of dungeons to ourselves. LET US HAVE
   FAITH THAT RIGHT MAKES MIGHT, AND IN THAT FAITH, LET US, TO
   THE END, DARE TO DO OUR DUTY AS WE UNDERSTAND IT.

  For the full speech see

http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/cooper.htm

  NYFU will go to Washington in December 2004 to present to the
  FTC facts and principles not yet well understood among
  legislators, judges, and regulators, despite the ceaseless
  unfailing stream of didactic essays and remarks on Slashdot.
  NYFU also will broaden and intensify our campaign against the
  Broadcast Flag Mandate of the FCC.  To do these things, and
  more, NYFU needs volunteers.  If you believe you have the right
  to own a computer and use your computer as you wish in the
  privacy of your house, and you are willing to work in defense
  of this right, come to this meeting. If you believe that the
  First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, and
  the Fourth too, apply to our use of our Net, and you are
  willing to work in the common defense of our Great Commons,
  come to this meeting.

  We need your help to convey what we know to the FTC.  In
  particular, if you have written any application which uses the
  large peer to peer system called "the Internet", NYFU wants to
  talk with you.  And if you are willing to take part in an
  Install Fest down in Washington DC on 15 or 16 December 2004,
  NYFU asks your help in a public demonstration that some people
  today are able to, in a most direct and practical way,
  exercise their right of private ownership of a computer.

  ad Broadcast Flag Mandate:

  NYFU and many organizations, tribes, and free lances are
  fighting today to make sure that we will be able to legally
  buy and sell untrammeled VCRs and computers after 1 July 2005:

  http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/6493
  http://bpdg.blogs.eff.org
  http://www.publicknowledge.org/pdf/bf_filing_100404.pdf
  http://www.nyfairuse.org/action/fcc.flag

  Note that some of the above were written in 2002.  We've been
  fighting the Broadcast Flag Mandate for some time, and we are
  not going to quit now, even though the FCC has moved to impose
  the BFM.  We believe most people like their untrammeled VCRs
  and we don't think the Englobulators will be able to deny us.
  But it is better to fight and win now, rather than after
  1 July 2005, when the public sale of untrammeled VCRs, and all
  general purpose digital communications devices, would become
  illegal, if we lose this round.

  New Yorkers for Fair Use
  DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!
  http://www.nyfairuse.org