[DMCA-Activists] Broadcast Flag Victory!

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Broadcast Flag Victory!
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:54:23 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: We won the broadcast flag case
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 11:24:55 -0400
From: Art Brodsky <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

Public Knowledge is pleased to announce that The U.S. Appeals
Court for the D.C. Circuit this morning threw out the Federal
Communications Commission's order establishing the so-called
"broadcast flag."

In a unanimous opinion, the court agreed with our argument that
the FCC exceeded its authority in creating this broadcast flag
scheme.  Judge Harry T. Edwards, writing for the court, said:
"In the seven decades of its existence, the FCC has never before
asserted such sweeping authority.  Indeed, in the past, the FCC
has informed Congress that it lacked any such authority.  In our
view, nothing has changed to give the FCC the authority it now
claims."  This was a case that Public Knowledge organized and
financed.  We're still looking for help to pay for the case, so
please take the opportunity, if you haven't, contribute to PK or
become a member.  It's easy.  See here:
http://www.publicknowledge.org/membership-drive-200504.

We couldn't have done it without the help of our co-plaintiffs,
Consumers Union, Consumer Federation of America, Electronic
Frontier Foundation, American Library Association, Association of
Research Libraries, American Association of Law Libraries,
Medical Library Association and the Special Libraries
Association.

--
Art Brodsky
Communications Director