[DMCA-Activists] State of Play on Xcasting Treaty

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] State of Play on Xcasting Treaty
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 18:31:28 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [A2k] Agenda item on casting treaty (current state of
play)
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 19:06:32 +0200
From: Thiru Balasubramaniam <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden

7:05 PM Geneva time

This is the current state of play.  The Chairman's text on the
agenda item on the treaty on the protection of broadcasting
organizations was rejected during the informal consultations.

The following text below was submitted during the informal
consultations as a best endeavour to bridge the gap between the
two camps in the broadcast treaty discussions.  This text did NOT
reach consensus.  At 5:10 PM the Chair noted that there was no
consensus on this item.  He delegated Argentina and the United
Kingdom to draft a consensus text. This will be discussed
tomorrow.  The next item in the agenda was the development
agenda.

----------DRAFT TEXT-----REJECTED------------

At least two meetings of SCCR shall be scheduled to consider the
second Revised Version of the consolidated text (SCCR/12/2/Rev.
2) on the protection of the rights of broadcasting
organizations.  The objectives of these meetings would be to
reach an agreement on a consolidated text to enable the 2006
General Assembly to consider convening a Diplomatic Conference in
2007.

5:10 P.M.

Chair: On Item 10, we have yet to reach consensus.  Therefore,
I've asked the UK and Argentina to act as my delegates in having
more consultations.  We will return to this later.

Now, we turn to Item 13, the Development Agenda