dotgnu-announce

[DotGNU Announcement]This Year in DotGNU 2002 - rectification

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU Announcement]This Year in DotGNU 2002 - rectification
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2003 20:07:35 +0100

Hello,

it turns out that the section 'Interoperability is what we do' in the message
'This Year in DotGNU 2002' has a number of errors in it:

* CLI means Common Language Infrastructure, not Common Language Interface.
* Not all languages used in/usable for .NET are controlled by MS, Mercury is an
example of this.
* The basic data types of a language don't have to be changed to be .NET
compatible, the CLS classes can also be added as abstract data types.
* Languages don't need to understand the full CLS to be .NET compatible, only a
subset.
* .NET can probably (there is no real evidence since it has not been tried as
far as I know) support most popular languages. I consider it unlikely however
that it can support LISP and thus can support all popular languages.

I believe though that this does not invalidate the point that I was trying to
reach: making a language .NET compatible means changing the language
drastically. I consider adding CLS data types and doing the other things which
need to be done to achieve .NET compatibility a drastic change.

The section was an editorial written purely by myself, the opinions expressed in
it are not automatically those of all DotGNU developers.

Regards,

Peter Minten