Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft's security blind spot

From: Bill Lance
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Microsoft's security blind spot
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 05:48:20 -0800 (PST)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Keep in mind that Bill Joy, a Sun employee, has a
> vested
> interest in beating up minor issues in C# and making
> them appear major.  He doesn't want people to use
> C#.
> He wants them to stick with Java.

That's for sure.  And I'm certain that we can continue
to rely on both MS and SUN to keep us imformed of the
weaknesses in the other guy's system  :)  Aren't they
so helpful!

> In reality, both the JVM and IL are just as
> secure/insecure
> as each other.  Their vulnerabilities are in
> different places,
> that's all.  Sun's JVM has the advantage that its
> code is
> open for inspection, which MS doesn't have.  But we
> do.

And we also have the ability to interoperate with
both, and move on past them while they squable.  I
expect that many of these issues will be addressed as
you merge their technologies in Pnet.  But I'm also
certain that we can not expect all security and
privacy issues to be solved in the compiler and VM
levels.  We all must share this responsibility.

Let me rephrase my question.  How do those of us
working on the server ends of dotGNU such as SEE and
VRS those of us working on the Pnet end develop a
common security and privacy shell that will work when
it's all put together?