Re: [DotGNU]The Worldwide Computer

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]The Worldwide Computer
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 11:32:02 +1000

Bill Lance wrote:

> One strange thing.  They propose a central, commercial
> server as the solution to privacy.  That I can't
> accept.

Re-reading the article, I don't think they went quite that far.
They argued that some data (e.g. government and accounting
information) cannot be distributed all through-out the network,
because of the privacy implications.

Some central management of this kind of data is necessary.
I don't think they implied that all data should be managed
this way.  DotGNU has a similar goal: protect the user's
privacy by limiting what goes where.

The ISOS is nice in theory.  I'll believe it when I see it.

Cheers,

Rhys.