Re: [DotGNU]About scripting: SilverScript

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]About scripting: SilverScript
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 09:42:27 +1000

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> I have even linked the cscc to perl as a module. Do
> you guys have any problems with that? Rhys?

Since it exposes the GPL internals of cscc in a way
that may be used by non-GPL software, yes I have a
problem.  It's the same problem that introspector has
had from day 1: it opens a hole, and GNU doesn't want
that hole opened.  End of discussion.  Please stop
beating this dead horse.

Exposing the internals of the compiler is very different
than hooking a scripting language like Perl or Ruby
into the engine.  The engine is already designed to run
any application you throw at it, including proprietry
applications.  Linking it to another GPL-compatible
engine only improves its ability to run applications.
It doesn't open a hole.

Cheers,

Rhys.