Re: [DotGNU]compiling xsharp - problem with libs (generic)

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]compiling xsharp - problem with libs (generic)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 07:05:31 +1000

Jakob Praher wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I have the following problem compiling dotgnu-libs-xsharp:
> (using cscc from dotgnu-pnet/pnet cvs repo)
>
> Display.cs - IDictionaryEnumerator MoveNext can not be found!

As pointed out by Gopal, this has been fixed in the latest CVS
version of pnet.

> I think the problem is that of a version problem with the assemblies I
> have installed.
>
> Is it enough to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to control assembly resolution, or
> how is, for instance mscorlib.dll found for linking, like:
>
> cscc -lmscorlib -o superapp myassembly.cs

If you have "make install"'d pnet, then it should be able to
find it without any trouble.  It is better to set CSCC_LIB_PATH
for assembly resolution than LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> does it behave like cc, or ld in this respect?

It tries to emulate gcc's behaviour as much as possible.

> if yes - it would be great to implement a pkgconfig database file for
> dotgnu-pnet - so that we can use the unified 'pkgconfig' to get all the
> compiler flags...

The complicated compiler flag stuff in pnetlib, xsharp, etc,
is an artifact of how I run my system here.  I deliberately
don't use "make install", to prevent conflicts between my
work tree and /usr/local.  On a regular system, everything
is set up in the right place and "cscc" is usually sufficient.

> are you planing on integrating the generics spec from m$ research - how
> does it play given that cvm is a typed instruction set?

I plan to do it one of these days when I find the time.
Or someone else can have a go if they like.  The spec isn't
100% concrete yet, so I've been holding off.

I envisage that we'll need to create some kind of "instantiate
generic" function that takes a generic class definition and a
set of actual parameters, and then builds an actual IL class on
the fly.  This can be processed with CVM in the usual manner.

Cheers,

Rhys.