Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:04:35 -0700 (PDT)

--- Gopal V <address@hidden> wrote:
> If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > Well the client can wait. But the server might have to ask the
> client a
> > question , or the client might want to post mutiple sets of data
> and
> > have them all land in the same processses.
>
> That just can't be done with a middleware system without some
> explicit
> means of ensuring state ...
>
> > :( why not?
>
> Because HTTP just doesn't work that way .... try storing to a local
> variable in CGI or PHP code ... Even if HTTP were to allow it , the
> rest of DGEE is built on the basis of any VM process can handle a
> class of requests ("class" meaning group or classification) .. This
> allows for multiple VMs to be run simultaneously or even on different
> boxes.
>
> > Each other request passes that token in. the webserver has the
> > responability to keep the process alive, or freeze and thaw the
> process
> > as needed.
>
> Such session-id based systems are possible, but you still need
> some place to store the data that needs to be stored (like a Pgsql
> server) and perform operations, update . Maybe we'll have a set of
> helper classes to do this ?
>
> If you look at xmlrpc with phpgw , you'll notice that they pass
> sessionid:kp3 as the user:password of HTTP communication ...

Well, I have now an idea for a session based system with an explicit
state. Basically the webserver is stateless, and the client is
responsable for all state.

1. the calls to the server are boxcarred. That means multiple calls to
multiple functions are passes as one single calll :

StatelessInvoke ( State  ( all variables need) , aray of calls )
the return is also a StateObject and an array of responses.

this will be an simplified web services.
it requires no state, and passes all the data needed in one shot. That
could result in hundreds of function calls at ones.

The trick is that each call will be specified by an individual
function, so you will group calls by selecting exisiting functions and
referencing them.

what do you think?

mike

=====