Re: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2003 19:51:28 +1000

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 06:05 pm, Tim TerlegÄrd wrote:
> > DotGNU is now at the point where we are leveraging what the free
> > software community has built before, rather than simply cloning MS.
> > For example, pnetC will allow us to bring in a lot of other Free
> > Software things that the original designers of the CLI never imagined.
> > That's real value.
>
> Could you please describe this a bit further, got very curious  :)

The goal of pnetC is to be able to run any arbitrary ANSI/Posix C code on top
of the CLI in bytecode-compiled form.

There are literally thousands of interesting Free Software libraries written
in C that can be leveraged once we have the basic platform in place.  Much
more than C#, VB, Java, etc can provide on their own.

The C compiler is now in pretty good shape and some help is needed on porting
glibc.  But we are poised to bring a huge amount of stuff across, leveraging
what has gone before.

Cheers,

Rhys.