Re: [DotGNU]Reminder - Weekly DotGNU Meeting

From: Rich Baumann
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Reminder - Weekly DotGNU Meeting
Date: 07 Aug 2003 15:24:08 -0400

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 20:19, DrDiettrich wrote:
> Rich Baumann wrote:
> > Note: the times are UTC, not GMT. If you have a Unix system,
> > then the command "date; date -u" will give you your current
> > time in both local and UTC, allowiX-Mozilla-Status: 0009en
> > the next meeting will occur.
>
> And what for people without Unix?
> They have absolutely no use for this explanation :-(
>
> Why not give the time in GMT, understandable to everyone, or at least
> give the difference instead of the Unix specifics?
>
> DoDi

It's not my fault if you're using a broken operating system. Since the
date command is, as far as I know, a part of the Portable Operating
System Interface standard, you should complain to your OS vendor if your
OS doesn't have it. If you're using windows, you can install cygwin
(cygwin.com), which supplies many of the core missing (broken) parts of
your OS, after which you can install the GNU coreutils package
(gnu.org/software/coreutils) which contains the date program.
Alternatively, you can check the "world clock" at timeanddate.com
(scroll down to find UTC).

UTC is the international time standard; GMT is not. That's why there's
no "date -g" option. UTC has no daylight savings adjustments, so you can
do the calculation yourself, based on current GMT (which does have such
adjustments). The only difference between the two IS daylight savings
adjustments.

Rich