RE: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: RE: [DotGNU]Dotgnu written in C#?
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2003 01:00:30 -0700 (PDT)

--- "Dawkins, David" <address@hidden> wrote:

> 10
> > >
> > > Experience is only half of the equation.  The other half is
> ability.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Rhys (20 years of experience and millions of lines of ability)
> > > Weatherley.
> >
> > Again Rhys,
> >
> > I was defending a newbie against an unfair attack from rich333. His
> > industry experience was quoted as a reason to support that biased
> attack.
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Yes, I'm sorry about that. After reading more of this thread, I
> should
> have qualified what I meant. It's not that I know Rich to have
> industry
> experience (I don't know him, and he tells us he doesn't have any
> anyway!).
>
> I meant that he sounds as if he's been through some of the same
> experiences I've been through with software development, and those
> experiences have left me with the opinion that rewrites are rarely
> worth the cost.
>
> As it turns out, it appears that industry experience is not necessary
> in
> making this appraisal. Too bad I didn't have those instincts at
> Rich's age
> :)

Yes. Rich, Gopal, minddog,  and many others are two examples of the
great young and motivatd people who you meet on pnet. It is one of the
reasons why I think this project is great.

Rewrites suck. Automatic and safe Code migration Rulz.

I think the guy was talking about a conversion tool, not some rewrite
tool

I can think of a bunch of C could that would benefit from the C#
abstraction layers, why cannot it be mixed in with pnet/C

Pnet could benefit from an Inline mechanisim for defining snippets of
code to be compiled by a different compiler.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/