Re: [DotGNU]pnet on cygwin still no go

From: DrDiettrich
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]pnet on cygwin still no go
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 11:42:38 +0200

Ian Fung wrote:

> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler
> cannot cr
> eate executables

I have the same problem with MinGW, with standard GNU packages. So it
seems to be unrelated to DotGNU or Cygwin.

I've helped myself by deleting this test, and others, from the configure
script, then everything proceeds without apparent problems. I didn't try
to figure out why this and other tests fail, in the case of executables
it may be the unexpected .exe suffix for Windows executables. IMO this
and other tests are obsolete, and should be removed from configure and
from the tools which create the configure script.

Furthermore I'm currently trying to find a replacement for the whole GNU
build process, starting with a version of configure that is strictly
based on a target platform specific config.h file, and that does no
guessing at all, about the capabilities of the target platform. The
config.h file is updated whenever a library or package is installed on
the platform, so that the administrator of the system has full control
over the settings in that file, and has a chance to adjust everything as
appropriate. A similar procedure for all the header files, where every
library comes together with its own header file. Both the libraries and
header files then are installed together, and the standard (ANSI...)
header files only #include these library specific header files, for all
declarations of data types, constants and procedures etc. in the
libraries. Then all declarations and #defines definitely reflect the
state of the selected target system, and any configuration script can
immediately check these settings, without any weird guessing.

See comp.os.linux.development.apps, CFO: Why configure?

DoDi