Re: [DotGNU]Resource Manipulation: Falling back from specific cultures

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Resource Manipulation: Falling back from specific cultures
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 07:57:17 +1000

On Monday 01 December 2003 06:56 am, Mariano Rivera wrote:
> Hi All:
>
> I was wondering if somebody can give me a clue for where to look on the
> sources for the actual code that implements the logic to fall back from
> Language Variant to Language Neutral to English if the first ones are not
> found???

The logic is in the "System.Resources.ResourceManager" class in the
"InternalGetResourceSet" method.  It starts with the current culture and
works up through the parent cultures until it finds a match.  If there is no
match, it will use the "invarant" culture, which is normally English.

> I am asking this because I would like to contribute with some spanish and
> portuguese(Brazilian) translations of pnet, but as I dont want to be
> variant language specific, I am trying to write the neutral language
> variation of spanish and portuguese and if I need (or somebody else want)
> write the specifics ones...

Usually you just pick one of the variants and install it as the neutral
version.  And then you don't need to bother with a specific version for that
variant.  You would normally pick the most natural "origin country" for the
language.

> For spanish I believe that the neutral language code is "es_ES", but I cant
> confirm this, so if somebody else could, it will be great....

es_ES is probably a good choice for the neutral version for Spanish.  You
would install it as "es", and then it will get picked up automatically for
"es_ES", "es_CH", etc.  "es_AR" would contain only those strings that are
different for Argentina - everything else will fall back to "es".

For Portuguese, it would be a toss up between "pt_BR" and "pt_PT" as to which
is installed as the neutral version.  I think MS uses "pt_BR", but I am not
sure.  Either way is fine with me.

Cheers,

Rhys.