Re: [DotGNU]Assembly versioning

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Assembly versioning
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 01:43:54 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,

The GAC should be able to maintain multiple versions
of assemblies.

For example, for pnet ..

bash$ ilgac --install --default My.dll

installs it to the default cache . But otherwise
it will install it with the right version.

> Partition II section 6.2.1.4 addresses this issue by
> any other behavior deemed appropriate."

Which is essentially saying nothing about how it
should work ? :) .

> One of the consequences of this behavior is that
> applications built with Pnet
> will run on .NET, Rotor, and Pnet, but fail on Mono,
> because Pnet's libraries
> are carrying version like 1:2:3400:0.

I think 1.2 is the right version for most of pnet's
.dlls since they already incorporate the Whidbey
extensions to the library .

In consequence, I think the above problem will occur
when the code compiled on .NET 1.2 is run on mono
as well. So it is not a pnet specific problem is it ?.

Btw, ilgac was implemented sometime around August
2003 ... to solve this very same problem of
maintaining multiple versions .

We will see how we can fix it .. but as of now ,
in mono you could try load_in_path() for
System.Xml (like the hack that's there's in for
corlib.dll renames).

Though , I cannot see pnet putting an invalid version
number for the 1.2 .dlls ..

Gopal