duplicity-talk

[Duplicity-talk] Problem running duplicity from lauchd on Monterey

From: Jeffrey Simon
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Problem running duplicity from lauchd on Monterey
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2022 09:22:05 -0600

Ever since I upgraded to macOS Monterey, a launchd job that includes a call to duplicity will no longer work.

  1. The job is a php script.
  2. An example of the command is as follows:

    env PASSPHRASE='************' /opt/local/bin/duplicity --gpg-binary /opt/local/bin/gpg --file-to-restore 20220805.s4.sql.rephunter.bz2 file:///Volumes/Backup1/RH-backup/20220805 /Volumes/Backup1/RH-backup/dbtemp/20220805.s4.sql.rephunter.bz2 >> /Users/jas/dbload.log 2>&1

  3. The script continues to work perfectly from the command line. My workaround is to run it from the command line.
  4. A possible difference with Monterey is that previously gpg could have been installed in a macOS-determined location. However with Monterey gpg was installed by MacPorts. So it might be in a different location. Or prior to Monterey it could have been in the same location; hard to tell now.
  5. Duplicity is throwing error output which includes the line "GPGError: failed to determine gnupg version of None from b''
  6. Searching on that error gives a page at https://bugs.launchpad.net/duplicity/+bug/1865427, where the suggestion is to add --gpg-binary with the path to gpg.
  7. I have added --gpg-binary /opt/local/bin/gpg but it does not help: the same error message is thrown.

I have posted detail on this issue to https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/443461/after-upgrade-to-monterey-a-user-created-launchd-job-does-not-run

Advice is appreciated.

Jeffrey