duplicity-talk

[Duplicity-talk] Simple multi-generation backup

From: Felix Natter
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Simple multi-generation backup
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2022 08:10:51 +0100

Dear duplicity community,

I would like to set up a _simple_ multi-generation backup using duplicity
to a cloud service:

- target $CLOUD/daily/: backup once per day, keep last X
- target $CLOUD/weekly/: backup once per week, keep last Y
- target $CLOUD/monthly/: backup once per month, keep last Z

My daily script (to be called by cron job) looks like this:

duplicity --encrypt-key KEY --full-if-older-than 5D /repos $CLOUD/daily/
duplicity --encrypt-key KEY remove-all-but-n-full 2 $CLOUD/daily/

And my weekly cron job would call this:

duplicity --encrypt-key KEY --full-if-older-than 3W /repos $CLOUD/weekly/
duplicity --encrypt-key KEY remove-all-but-n-full 2 $CLOUD/weekly/

and so on for the monthly backup.

Q1: Is that a valid/good way to do it?

Q2: I tried to make a daily backup. Then I added a file /repos/bla.txt, then
made a daily backup. I removed it and made another daily backup.
Then I tried to restore /bla.txt from the backup:

duplicity restore --file-to-restore /bla.txt $CLOUD/daily /tmp/bla.txt
# (I tried -t 1D/2D/3D as well)

but it couldn't find it in the "daily" backup, so I guess that duplicity
only looks at the last full/incremental backup of the set in $CLOUD/daily.
But I need to be able to restore a file that was deleted a few days ago.

I think I am misunderstanding things, could you please point me to good
documentation?

Many Thanks and Best Regards!
Felix

--