dvdrtools-users

[Dvdrtools-users] dvd creation for alpha linux

From: Wade Huebsch
Subject: [Dvdrtools-users] dvd creation for alpha linux
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 13:33:22 -0500

I am in desperate need of a dvd burner for data archiving purposes. I have an
alpha machine running Red Hat Linux 7.0 for alpha. Can you help me with a
couple of questions:

1) Is the "dvdrtools" package at a stable point in the development? As I state
above, is all I really need it for is to backup (and eventually retrieve) data.

2) Will it run fine on an alpha platform?

3) Are there any recommendations for a particular unit that works well with
linux (and alpha OS)?

4) I am fairly confused by the DVD-RAM, -R, -RW, +RW, etc.. - which one do I
need? Currently, I am assuming that I just need a DVD-R or DVD-RW unit. The
re-write cabability would be nice to have, but not critical for my needs.

5) I would prefer to have a SCSI DVD burner - is that possible?

Thanks

Wade W. Huebsch, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
West Virginia University