elyxer-users

Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion: parse equations and \url{} inside bibliog

From: Jose Ramon Alvarez Sanchez
Subject: Re: [eLyXer-users] Suggestion: parse equations and \url{} inside bibliography
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2010 19:57:14 +0200

El sáb, 16-10-2010 a las 18:41 +0200, Alex Fernandez escribió:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 4:39 AM, Jose Ramon Alvarez Sanchez
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Normal BibTeX does not show the "url" field but it understand
> > "\url{}" in other fields.
>
> In my understanding, the url field is shown by BibTeX; at least it was
> requested by a user a while back.

AFAIK, some recent BibTeX styles (plainnat, unsrtnat, abbrevnat,
all in harvard package, and some in babelbib) have a special
entry type "@URL{}" to cite web sites or online only documents
http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=citeURL

But the url field (that is "url={...}" inside and entry) is only
a proposed extension that some applications already use (Jabref
and Pybliographic for example) to show interactively the web
document and that can be exported to other formats. It is
supported by the gigantic BibLaTeX (as optional field in all
entry types) and probably it could be adopted in future versions
of BibTeX, but not at present, or at least I cannot find it
in the documentation: http://bibtexml.sourceforge.net/btxdoc.pdf

In any case, as a html converter, it seems natural that eLyXer
supports the url field as a link in bibliography entries.
But thinking about it now, probably url field should be
displayed at the end of the entries (after note field that
already is standard in BibTeX) as an "extra" feature.

> > Currently the content of "\url{}" in bibliography is displayed as
> > plain text by eLyXer but it is recognized and displayed as link
> > by LaTeX with hyperref, etc.
>
> If it is a LyX feature which is missing in eLyXer then it should be
> treated as a bug; however BibTeX is kind of a gray area, so allow me
> to keep both in the wish list.

Of course, the interpretation of the content of "\url{}"
as a link is *not* a Lyx feature, just an indirect effect of
hyperref (or url package) in BibTeX, but already it is a recommended
way to provide additional information as web links (specially in
note and howpublished fields), so it is fine that it remains
in wish list.

Best regards,
Jose R.