Re: tool-tip default

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: tool-tip default
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 2000 13:22:08 -0500 (EST)

   > No the default GNU Emacs 21.0.90.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit) does
   > not display the menu bar.  I just ran `emacs -q' with this morning's
   > CVS snapshot, Mon, 2000 Nov 6 12:00 UTC, and all it has is the tool bar.

   Have you checked --no-site-file ?
   Your experience strongly contradicts mine.

Yes, just now:  `emacs -q --no-site-file'  no menu bar.

However,  `emacs --no-site-file' does provide *both* a menu bar and a
tool bar.

My understanding is that `emacs -q' provides a default Emacs that
people without a ~/.emacs will load.  The /etc/emacs/site-start.el
file and the contents of the /etc/emacs/site-start.d/ directory are
both installed autmatically when Emacs is installed (at least, I do
not remember installing them myself).

Is this the case?

Are the files in /etc/emacs/ created differently by different
distributions (Debian, Red Hat, Suse) and yet differently when you
install Emacs from sources?

--
    Robert J. Chassell                  address@hidden
    Rattlesnake Enterprises             http://www.rattlesnake.com