`save-point'

From: Miles Bader
Subject: `save-point'
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 15:17:56 +0900 (JST)

I would like a separate `save-point' form, that *just* saves and
restores the current point, without all the whipped cream and who-the-
hell-knows-*what's*-going-to-happen behavior of `save-excursion'.

I think a majority of uses of save-excursion could use save-point instead.

Am I simply mad?

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche