Re: Emacs can't be built on HPUX 10.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs can't be built on HPUX 10.
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 09:13:19 +0200

> From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>
> Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:36:56 +0900 (JST)
>
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
> > (2) On HP-UX with native C compiler, local static variable
> > is not kept zero cleared.  When clear_glyph_row is called at
> > the first time, null_row is surely zero cleared.  But, when
> > it is called next time, null_row is not zero cleared.
>
> What do you mean `the first/next time'?  The first time the function is
> called in a given program invocation?  Or are you talking about the
> behavior when emacs is dumped (i.e., that local static variables are not
> cleared when a dumped emacs is run)?

Please note that local static variables are against Emacs coding
guidelines (see the node "Writing Emacs Primitives" in the ELisp
manual).  This is because on some systems "static" gets defined away
(is HP-UX one of those systems, per chance?).

So I think the change that Handa-san suggested needs to be done
anyway, no matter what are the particulars of this problem on HP-UX.