Re: Debian trouble with Info

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Debian trouble with Info
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:58:36 +0200

> From: Rob Browning <address@hidden>
> Date: 15 Nov 2000 11:18:24 -0600
>
> So I suppose there are going to be points on which we'll have
> different emphases.  Hopefully we can figure out solutions that make
> both of us happy.

I think that if install-info has an option to put files into a
specified subdirectory, and if Info readers can be made to search the
directory of the current Info file before the other directories, this
might supply the kind of solutions that could make everybody happy.

> ISTR that last time I investigated that approach, there was no way to
> tell info to just prepend/append a particular item to the search path,

The stand-alone Info reader already automatically prepends the
directory of each Info file it finds to its internal list of
directories it searches for Info files.  That leaves the problem of
how do you tell it to find the first file (e.g. emacs-20.7/emacs); we
could have a special command-line option for that, or DIR could be
arranged, again by install-info, to do that.

The Emacs Info reader could also be made to effectively prepend the
directory of the current file to the Info search path (I think it
already does that, but I'm not sure).

> Thanks, and hope I'm helping more than hurting.

And thank you for the feedback.