message logging (*Messages*)

From: Miles Bader
Subject: message logging (*Messages*)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 18:58:14 +0900 (JST)

In the *Messages* buffer I see an awful lot of stuff like --

And sometimes things like

   Foo...
   Foo....
   Foo.....
   Foo......

The message logging code already coalesces identical message; how about
having any message that *extends* the previous message, replace it?

This would nicely reduce the verbosity of the above two cases, and I
don't think it would lose much information -- it's almost always the
case that the second, longer, message implies the presence of the first.

Doing this would make the *Messages* buffer much easier to read, I think;
compare:

   Foo......

-Miles
--
Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra.  Suddenly it flips over,
pinning you underneath.  At night the ice weasels come.  --Nietzsche