Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wild

From: Per Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: URL syntax (was: Re: Tramp, "[]" in file names, and file-expand-wildcards)
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 15:33:24 +0200

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Per Abrahamsen <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Any chance of switching over to an URL syntax?
>
> Since the URL syntax conflicts with Ange-FTP, Ange-FTP would have to
> be changed, too.

Yes, that was basically the idea.  So the idea was to swicth to URL
syntax for everything bul local filenames, in particular ftp.  To open
a (rare) local file name that could also be an URL, use the URL syntax
(file: ...).

An additional advantage is that there are standards covering most of
what we want to do, so there is less need to invent anything.

There will be some transitional pain, but I believe it will be well
worth it.

> And we might wish to use an additional slash before the protocol
> name, to do the magic-slash thing.

I'd prefer simply going with the URL syntax, and change Emacs to make
that work.  Accepting URL's everywhere file names occur is
increasingly the norm in the environments where Emacs should
integrate, like Gnome.