Re[2]: idea -> internal frames?

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: idea -> internal frames?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 11:13:13 -0400

>>> address@hidden (Kevin A. Burton) seems to think that:
>
>Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> On 24 Oct 2001, Kevin A. Burton wrote:
>>
>> > Wouldn't it make sense to support the concept of an "internal frame".
>>
>> Why is this better than the multiple frames Emacs has now?
>
>Because they are hard to track and maintain.
>
>A good example is the speedbar.  I like the speedbar in Emacs 21...  the only
>problem is that it gets lost in my other X applications (mozilla, xterms, etc).
>
>If I could keep it within my current maximized Emacs frame this would allow me
>get work done and keep the speedbar close at hand.
  [ ... ]

If you bind `speedbar-get-focus' to a key, you can always get to
speedbar's frame from wherever it's hiding on your desktop.

There was some discussion a while ago between Gerd, RMS, and myself
about being able to mark a window `special', meaning it would be
ignored by things like 'delete-other-windows', but it was postponed.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                 address@hidden, address@hidden
   Home: www.ultranet.com/~zappo            Siege: www.siege-engine.com