Re: timer handlers and ^G

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: timer handlers and ^G
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 07:08:51 -0700 (MST)

    This gets back to your point above.  I think we should create a macro like:

       (defmacro with-enabled-quit (&rest body)
         ;; we assume that inhibit-quit is bound to non-nil before.
         `(condition-case nil
              (let ((inhibit-quit nil))
                ,@body)
            (quit (setq quit-flag t))))

That is a good idea--it looks like a safe way to enable quitting
inside a timer.  I think that with-local-quit is a better name for it.

Would you please install it and use it where appropriate?

But has anyone looked at why it is necessary to quit out of that
particular timer handler in GNUS, and whether GNUS is really
doing things the way it ought to?