Re: Final(?) patch for server sockets and datagram (UDP) support.

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Final(?) patch for server sockets and datagram (UDP) support.
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 05:42:33 -0700 (MST)

    It's always been a bit confusing that emacs uses the term process for
    sockets that have no associated process.  That confusion will get a
    little worse now that emacs processes will include server and datagram
    sockets, which don't even share processes' stream-like nature.

In principle, you are right, but practically speaking it would be a
lot of work to change this.  I see no simple name word that does
clearly fit process-or-stream-or-network-port, so any alternative
would have its own drawbacks, even if they are lesser drawbacks.
Meanwhile, working with process objects is a fairly advanced part of
Emacs Lisp programming.  I think the people who write such programs
can cope with a suboptimal name.

    I'm not saying we should rename everything now to fix this, but I
    think it would help if the start of the "make-network-process" doc
    string immediately disclaimed any relationship to a unix process.

That would be a good idea.