Re: PO files and Emacs

From: Bruno Haible
Subject: Re: PO files and Emacs
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:43:33 +0100 (CET)

Eli Zaretskii writes:

> Does this version work for you without po-mode.el being loaded?  It
> uses po-with-temp-buffer, which seems to be undefined.  How should I
> define it?

Oops, please use 'with-temp-buffer' instead. 'po-with-temp-buffer' is
for older versions of Emacs.

> > And please keep the comments about XEmacs. There would be no point in
> > making life harder for the XEmacs maintainers.
>
> Why should it be commented-out?  Why not make po-find-file-coding-system
> work in both flavors?

I thought it was more acceptable to you when commented out. Of course
it's better to have the proper 'if' conditionalization.

   (if (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version)
     (defun po-find-file-coding-system (operation filename)  ...)
     (defun po-find-file-coding-system (arg-list) ...))

> > (if (not (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version))
> >   (mapc #'codepage-setup (mapcar #'car (cp-supported-codepages))))
>
> Is it really a good idea to load all the cpNNN tables whenever some
> PO file is visited?  Isn't it better to load them only on demand?

Sure. I was lazy on this point because I think all possible encodings
should be provided by Emacs by default, and there should be no need to
explicitly 'setup' them.

Thanks, Eli!

Bruno