ediff feature request: diffing line by line

From: Karl Eichwalder
Subject: ediff feature request: diffing line by line
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 14:54:34 +0100

Let me forward this enhancement proposal:

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Intelligent diffing (Re: britannica 1911) Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2002 13:47:22 +0100 (CET)
[...]

ediff is great, (is one of my favorite tools) but is insufficient if
you have more differences in the same line, or differences in several
consecutive lines (and you have to choose differently for each of
them); it is clearly tuned for different versions of code, not on OCR
output. Initially I considered modifying ediff, but the code is too
complex, I hope to have something usable with much less effort.

--- End Message ---

This basically means a diff is required that compares line by line and
that allows to say "next word" from version A or "rest of line" from
version B is wanted.

Here is Carlo's prototyp in Lisp:

    http://www.dm.unipi.it/~traverso/Ebooks/Lsp/ocrdiff.lsp

--