Re: address@hidden: asymmetries and contradictions in shell navigation u

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: address@hidden: asymmetries and contradictions in shell navigation using C-a and C-e on a prompt line]
Date: 19 Mar 2002 09:18:16 +0900

>     However, I think this can be handled by making the minibuffer input use
>     an overlay for the input field, instead of relying on the nil-properties
>     inserted at the end of the buffer.
>
> That part bothers me.  Can we assign a coherent meaning to a field
> property on an empty overlay?

Well, input fields can be zero-width, so it sems like emacs has to be
able to do _something_ for that case.  It could do so using the same rules
it uses for field boundaries (which are also ambiguous, because you have
to decide whether a movement should be treated as being at the end of
the first field or at the beginning of the second field), by looking at
the stickyness of any overlay.

If you don't like this, then the only thing I can think of is that you
have to say `empty fields can only exist at the end of the buffer.'
[Then, of course, some other way has to be found to distinguish `inside'
from `outside'.]

-Miles
--
Would you like fries with that?