Re: <EMACS> Re: emacs21.2 freezes on hp when calling visible-bell

From: Bruce Perens
Subject: Re: <EMACS> Re: emacs21.2 freezes on hp when calling visible-bell
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 21:22:44 -0800

> 4. I added lots of fprintf(stderr,...) stuff to the code in xterm.c
>    (function XTflash) and in this way I could determine that emacs was
>    hanging on the line that says:
>           select (0, NULL, NULL, NULL, &timeout);

Select is being used to pause the process with finer granularity than
sleep(). On return, the contents of timeout are _undefined_. Print
timeout.tv_sec and timeout.tv_usec before the call and see if their value
is sensible. It probably gets clobbered after the first call (or the first
few) and sends you into a very long delay, thus the "hang".

Tell me if that's not it, and I'll find an HP-UX pro.

> I am amazed that gettimeofday can hang.

Since this is emacs run under gdb, it could be a ptrace bug.

        Thanks

        Bruce