Re: enhanced select-safe-coding-system

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: enhanced select-safe-coding-system
Date: 04 May 2002 23:56:40 +0100

"Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden> writes:

> I have recently posted a fairly simple patch that does that by slightly
> modifying the C code, so it's fast.

How is that?  I think the Lisp is actually fast enough in that
application on a P100.  I included the warning in case anyone used it
without checking.

Anyway, be careful.  As far as I can tell, find-coding-systems-region
should remain the basic operation for this sort of thing and you need
to beware of confusion and maintenance issues from providing
alternative functionality.  (Look at Gnus as an example of confusion
in this area.)

> The only question is if such
> a functionality is good enough to efficiently implement Emacs-20's behavior
> (which was to highlight the offending chars, rather than just jump to the
> first one)

I think what's most important is to be able to get information on the
first one (at point) more than to have them all highlighted.  That's
usually enough to figure out what the encoding problem is, not that
extra information would hurt, obviously.