Re: RMAIL bails out with coding-system-error

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: RMAIL bails out with coding-system-error
Date: Sun, 5 May 2002 16:35:30 +0300 (IDT)

On 5 May 2002, David Kuehling wrote:

>            (insert "X-Coding-System: "
>                    (symbol-name last-coding-system-used)
>                    "\n")))
> [...]
> Using the last coding system is after all a little confusing.  Maybe
> `default-buffer-file-coding-system' would be a better (and more
> predictable) choice?

last-coding-system-used is set by all the functions that decode text.  So
the above code makes sure the encoding of the message is recorded in the
message headers.  That encoding can come from any number of sources: the
Charset= header, the current defaults taken from the language
environment, or from the user (see, e.g., rmail-redecode-body).  Perhaps
I'm missing something, but I fail to see how any global default setting
such as default-buffer-file-coding-system, can be an alternative to
last-coding-system-used.