Re: Insert Euro symbol

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Insert Euro symbol
Date: Mon, 6 May 2002 13:32:30 -0600 (MDT)

    >     For the C-x 8 case, it seems convenient that people can use either
    >     C-x 8 ' e or C-x 8 e ' to insert the same character.  This would be
    >     an argument in favor of a new input method.
    >
    > I don't exactly follow.  It is an argument in favor of which
    > new input method?  To do what?

    You suggested to change C-x 8 such that it reads a single key sequence
    using an existing "secondary" input method.  Then people can use input
    method A for the normal case and use C-x 8 (or another key) to insert
    rarely used characters with input method B.

    I like this suggestion.

Now I know what you're referring to.  The expression "new input method"
suggested something different.

I am not the one who originated the idea, I only said I liked it.

    I'm only making a very minor proposal: while people should be able to
    choose any input method for C-x 8, it might be nice to create a new
    input method that's specially designed for C-x 8.

I see your point, and it would require zero additional change to
permit input methods that were intended for use only in C-x 8.  But I
tend to think they won't be useful, because it won't be worth learning
a different input method just for use within C-x 8.  The whole idea
here is that you put an input method on C-x 8 to use it "occasionally."
People don't want to learn a lot more in order to do something occasionally.

Now, if there could be a systematic simplification, such as
"You don't need to type ., after C-x 8", that could be worth while
because the amount one needs to remember is small.