Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)

From: Simon Josefsson
Subject: Re: Enhancements to options menu (was Re: Reveal mode)
Date: Wed, 08 May 2002 17:28:04 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, 8 May 2002, Stefan Monnier wrote:
>
>> I thought we were talking about extending/changing info.el to support the
>> HTML format (or a subset of it).
>
> Perhaps everybody else was, in which case I apologize for a gross
> misunderstanding.
>
> If extending info.el is the issue, I tend to agree with Kai: implementing
> a whole new browser sounds like a large job.  Much larger than making it
> possible to display inline images in an Info file.

But there could be other reasons for switching.  Perhaps HTML isn't
the best format, I agree with most of the reasons presented here,
although I'm sure it could be made to work.  But what about DocBook?
Doesn't GNOME use it?  KDE does, I think.  If so, making the Info
viewer support DocBook files as well could be useful.  All I'm saying
is that before someone starts to add features to the Info format (I
can think of more things than image support that could be useful when
documenting a GUI application), we should look at what other major
desktop applications are using.  And it isn't the Info format.