Re: CUA mode cursor color

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: CUA mode cursor color
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 11:00:14 -0600 (MDT)

      2. If you have transient-mark-mode enabled, turning on cua-mode and
         then turning it off again leaves transient-mark-mode disabled; it
         would be much better to leave it in whatever state it was in
         originally.  I'm not sure the best way to implement this.

It would be nice, but I think it is impossible to find a way to handle
this that gives in all cases the result that you would consider
correct.  It is a problem similar to the "restore the previous window
state" problem: every possible method is right for some scenarios but
not for all.

         It would be nice if `pc-selection-mode' and `delete-selection-mode'
         simply used the same code that cua-mode does, so that they are more
         compatible (after all, it's not unlikely that a potential user of
         CUA mode already has one or both of them enabled, and might not see
         the warning in NEWS).

Is it feasible for CUA to use pc-selection-mode and delete-selection-mode?
That would be nice, but I'd guess there would be some sort of problem.

Another approach would be to replace pc-selection-mode and
delete-selection-mode with new code designed to work with CUA (perhaps
copied partially from CUA).

delsel.el is a very small file.  Please don't replace it with something
that has to load all of CUA.