Re: Apropos commands and regexps

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Apropos commands and regexps
Date: 14 May 2002 14:26:35 +0900

address@hidden (Kim F. Storm) writes:
> If a user is searching for some command which does something "useful",
> it is already quite hard to guess the terms emacs may be using to
> accomplish a given task (e.g. some novice users may search for "change
> file" when they really should look for "switch buffer").

I wonder if the `apropos keyword' command being discussed could maintain
a list of common `equivalents', and try substituting some if the
original apropos doesn't return anything useful (or maybe even if
returns only a few matches).

E.g., it might group (`file', `buffer', and `document') together, and
(`switch', `change', select', `open', `find' together), so a user that
searches for `open document' would find both `find-file' and
`switch-to-buffer'.

Maybe this would end up generating too many false positives, though.

-Miles