Re: Print eight-bit-* characters with ps-print

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Print eight-bit-* characters with ps-print
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 17:21:38 +0300

> Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 15:23:29 +0900 (JST)
> From: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>
>
> Please try to add more delq for eight-bit-* here, and set
> ps-print-control-characters to `8-bit' (the default is
> `8-bit-control').  Then all eight-bit-* should be printed in
> octal form.  Isn't it what you want?

Well, having eight-bit-* characters printed as octal escapes is less
than optimal.  The code I posted does slightly better: it prints them
in the default font built into the PostScript printer (usually
Latin-1).

As I said, this is not 100% correct, but in many cases it matches what
you see on the screen.  And it certainly is nicer than the octal
escapes.

> > (Btw, it looks like iso-safe can safely encode eight-bit-* characters.
> > If that's true, I think we should update its doc string.  Handa-san,
> > can you please comment on this?)
>
> This is a difficult part.  Currently, as far as I remember
> all coding-systems encode them as is.  They are treated as
> special bytes that should be written out as is.  I'm not
> sure whether or not we should make iso-safe as an exception.
> Instead, how about documenting clearly that there's a super
> rule that any coding system encodes eight-bit-* as is?

I will look for a proper place, thanks.