Re: defvar vs setqif..

From: D. Goel
Subject: Re: defvar vs setqif..
Date: 20 May 2002 15:40:18 -0400

> There should be only one (defvar <var> <val>) form per variable.
> All others should only be (defvar <var>).

this resolves it for me.. i've been overlooking this...  i guess i now
see what all of you have been trying to tell me.  sorry to have wasted
all of your times...And indeed, as Miles was saying, the tag-finding
functions would/should know this rule...

re: actual concrete examples, indeed i have no examples when my TAGS
has ended up getting double-tags for a variable where the 2 tags come
from 2 libraries.. i guess this must be due to the reason you
mentioned above....  neither has my TAGS ever created a tag for a
defvar in my my .emacs even though my set-tags probes my .emacs and my
.emacs does have defvar's..  this must all be because the 'offending'
defvar's must be following the syntax you mention above..  So i humbly
withdraw my suggestion..

(there is one minor duplication---my TAGS seems to probe the
loaddefs-my.el too and creates 2 tag-entries for each autoloaded
defun/defvar---one where it was defined, and one for
loaddefs-my.el.. but that is quite unrelated to the present issue.. i
should simply request tags.el to overlook loaddefs-my.el when creating
TAGS, i guess..)..

Have a good day,

D                                  <http://www.glue.umd.edu/~deego/>