Re: crash in GC

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: crash in GC
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 14:07:07 -0400

> From: Sam Steingold <address@hidden>
> Date: 24 May 2002 10:19:28 -0400
>
> > Could you investigate a little further and try to find the data that
> > is invalid or inconsistent?
>
> I am afraid not.  All I have is the backtrace.
> (I restarted Emacs in the same gdb since I need it for other work.)

That is very unfortunate: it means that this bug report cannot be
pursued at all.  Please in the future try to leave the crashed session
running as long as the thread that discusses the crash is alive.  If
you can afford that resourcewise, that is.

Crashes inside GC generally mean that some memory corruption happened
earlier, but the backtrace doesn't say where and when.  It is
impossible to debug such problems armed with the backtrace alone; you
need to examine the relevant C and Lisp data structures, and you need
to check several hypotheses about the possible cause(s) of the
corruption.  You can't even start thinking about these issues without
knowing the extent of data structures that are corrupted, and without
access to the array that records the GC history.