Re: autosave

From: Peter Blicher
Subject: Re: autosave
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 14:10:50 -0400 (EDT)

   Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 07:39:27 +0300 (IDT)
   From: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>

   On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

   >     Oh, I guess I should mention a couple of other things:
   >
   > Actually the one thing I would like is a complete self-contained
   > recipe for making the bug happen.  It is not normal for Emacs to write
   > auto-save files in emacs.d.

   The ~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/ directory is used for the `.saves-*' files
   where Emacs saves session information (used by "M-x recover-session").
   (See startup.el:auto-save-list-file-prefix.)

   These are not the normal auto-save files, but they do resemble them
   because Emacs saves session info periodically, like it does with
   auto-saving.  Perhaps the problem was with those files, not with autosave
   files.

That's highly likely.  However, given that rms has said he already looked at
the code, I think he is right that I will have to isolate the problem better
before you guys can do more.  Unless he did not look at the session save
code.

Unfortunately, it is hard to look at something like the *Messages* buffer
when the program is in an infinite loop of failed file operations.  Since
it's been years since I did emacs debugging, I don't remember offhand all the
stuff I have to do to debug, trace, etc., which means I have to look all this
stuff up before I can give you a distilled version of the problem.

--peer

--
A. Peter Blicher        NEC Research Institute
609-951-2716            4 Independence Way