Re: comint doesn't like read-only prompts

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: comint doesn't like read-only prompts
Date: 13 Jun 2002 17:51:21 +0900

> This patch to HEAD is needed to make ielm work again. The problem is
> that the new handling of text-properties/attributes in comint.el is
> choking while dealing with ielm's read-only prompt.

I guess that patch would work, but somehow ielm's calling comint's
output filter on read-only text seems vaguely dodgy to me.

Perhaps it would be better to make comint itself support read-only
prompts, controlled with a variable; then ielm could just set that
variable to t.  That would be a useful feature that people could turn
on for other comint modes as well if they want.

[An alternative might be to have comint support having only the
_current_ prompt be read-only, since it's usually only that one which is
in danger of being inadvertently modified.]

-Miles
--
Come now, if we were really planning to harm you, would we be waiting here,
 beside the path, in the very darkest part of the forest?