Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:00:01 -0400

> >     Simply via the filename.  /address@hidden/path/to/file (including the
> >     square brackets) is a Tramp filename, whereas
> >     /address@hidden:/path/to/file is an Ange-FTP filename.
> >
> > I see now.  When I saw this before I did not realize that the
> > brackets were meant literally.
> >

> Actually, the full tramp format seems to be
>
>         /[method/address@hidden/path/to/file

It's more than complex that because of the `multi' method which allows
you to access files via a sequence of "access methods" (e.g. ssh to host1
then ssh to host2 then su).

> I think using / to separate the method is a really bad idea, as it
> makes it non-trivial to parse or split a filename.

file-name-directory and others are your friends.

> If we adapt the idea of using the same notation as ange-ftp, i.e.
>         /address@hidden:/path/to/file

Tramp started with such an idea, but given all the various details
that might be embedded in a Tramp filename, it turned out to be
a problem IIRC.

And I think if we want to standardize on a common syntax, we should
go for something more like URLs.

        Stefan