Re: Integrate Tramp

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Integrate Tramp
Date: 22 Jun 2002 21:43:21 +0900

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> It's probably only a matter of taste, but I prefer
>
>     /address@hidden:file
>
> The reason I like to have the method first is that I think of the
> equivalent shell command, say "ssh address@hidden", and then translate
> it to a filename, say "/address@hidden:/tmp".

Well, which is more important -- the address, or the method used to make
the connection?  I'd say the former (the address), by far; the method is
basically just a temporary detail.

I'd also say that the most important component should come first, since
that allows users to worry about the details after they've typed in the
part that matters.

[In practice, actually, I'd hope that the defaults can be set up so the
user usually doesn't have to type the method at all.  For instance, it
could remember the method type used for a given host/user, and
automatically install that as the default for subsequent references to
the same host/user.]

-Miles
--
Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it
has to be us.  -- Jerry Garcia