Re: Intelligent history cycling

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Intelligent history cycling
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:46:15 -0400

> > I also use it just like you.  Actually, if you look at simple.el you'll
> > see that there is code that does it as well, but it's commented out.
> > I wish we could turn it on again.
> Maybe it's enough to find free keys?

I don't see a need for it.  M-n and M-p work just fine.  You can always
get the old (i.e. current) behavior with C-a C-k M-p and C-a C-k M-n
(although in most cases you don't need to since M-p and M-n are mostly used
before doing anything else (before modifying the prompt) in which case
my code is careful to not do a history search but just the good
old "fetch next/prev history item").

        Stefan

PS: your "From:" header is giving problems because it's split on a second
    line just between Kai and Grossjohann.  Sometimes I see a space
    between the two, and sometimes not, depending on what piece of code
    it goes through.  Furthermore, it triggers a harmless bug in my mail
    reader :-(