Re: INFO on add-ons

From: David A. Cobb
Subject: Re: INFO on add-ons
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 19:47:41 -0400

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

Footnotes: [1] Note also that Debian goes to extreme lengths to insure
cooperation of packages it distributes among themselves, and where
possible interoperation with other systems.
Um, you aren't saying this is a bad thing, are you Stephen?
However a volunteer project likely can't take _extreme_ measures. It requires to enlist the positive co-operation of the contributors. And I'm well aware that some won't ever comply. Even when the documentation is "gold-plated" I was involved once in a gov't acquisition where we were frankly told "our programmers would rather quit than write C-Specs (Detailed Program Design Docs)." I was not in charge or I might have said that would be a benefit to the whole industry.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way